Ways To Get Good Fats
Here are a few more tips for choosing the best types of fat.
- Choose leaner cuts of meat that do not have much visible fat. Leaner cuts include round cuts and sirloin cuts. Trim visible fat off meats before eating.
- Sauté with olive oil or canola oil instead of butter.
- Use olive oil in salad dressings and marinades.
- Use canola oil when baking.
- When re-heating soups or stews, skim the solid fats from the top before heating.
- Sprinkle slivered nuts or sunflower seeds on salads instead of bacon bits.
- Snack on a small handful of nuts rather than potato chips or processed crackers.
- Try peanut butter or other nut-butter spreads (which do not contain trans fat) on celery, bananas, or low-fat crackers.
- Add slices of avocado rather than cheese to your sandwich.
- Once or twice a week prepare fish, such as salmon or mackerel, instead of meat.
Always consult with a registered dietitian or healthcare professional before changing your diet.